AppFormix provides resource control and visibility for hosts, containers, and virtual machines in your cloud infrastructure.
The software consists of multiple components:
- Agent monitors resource usage on compute nodes.
- Controller offers REST APIs to configure the system.
- DataManager stores data from multiple Agents.
- Dashboard provides a Web-based user interface.
- An Adapter discovers platform-specific resources and configures Controller. Adapters exist for OpenStack, Kubernetes, VMware, Amazon EC2.
The Agent component runs on the lowest level "compute nodes" of the infrastructure that provide computational resources to execute application workload. A compute node may be a bare-metal host or a virtual machine.
The remaining components run on a class of "infrastructure node(s)" that execute services that power software-defined infrastructure, such as the OpenStack infrastructure service nodes or Kubernetes master nodes. A host on which AppFormix control plane components execute is a Controller host (likely a virtual machine). A Controller host requires network connectivity to all of the compute nodes and to infrastructure services that manage the infrastructure.